Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness.

I have absolutely nothing witty to say today. There are going to be days like this. I stare at a blank piece of paper and no matter how hard I try, all the creativity I have been granted with is nowhere to be found. I had a patient once who told me they didn’t want to take their medications because it dulled their creativity. Colors didn’t seem as bright, the world moved on around them, but their mind didn’t make the leaps it usually did. The spark was simply gone. I empathized with this more than the patient may have believed at the time given my strong insistence they remain on their regimen. Preserving their life through the crisis period was more important, but I know the abject loneliness of having that creative side escape you even for a short time. For truly creative people it’s not just a hobby, it’s an ingrained piece of themselves. It is all pervasive and when it is gone it leaves a gaping blackhole in the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment