Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shades of Darkness


"As I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away."

I love a good ghost story. As the leaves start to turn colors and the breeze is crisp and cool, nothing makes me happier than curling up under a blanket with a scary book. It's the accounts of real hauntings which strike my fancy. As a kid, I used to read all the ghost books I could find in any spare minute I had which made me stand out as the dork at recess, but helped to mold me into the creative juggernaut I am today. This picture has been stuck in my head since 5th grade. It's reportedly of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall. Her sad tale began after her marriage to a man with a cold heart and fiery temper. In order to escape her loveless marriage, she had an affair with local beau. When her jealous husband discovered this, he locked his wife in their estate house, isolating her inside, forbidding her from leaving even to see her own children. She eventually died of old age, neglected and forgotten, but it was rumored she never truly left. For over two centuries, she has been sighted by both kings and commoners alike, a wretched wraith in a brown silk dress, wandering the grounds in death as she did in life. Unable to escape her lovely prison where she is doomed to roam eternity alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment